Our answer to the huge problem of the rubbish in this country
From the start of the construction works of the Viva la Vida Cultural Center we realized that one of the main problems in Cambodia is the excesive use of one-use plastics and the huge amounts of rubbish thrown away everywhere. Over time the desire to change this sad reality made us create Sart Cambodia (beautiful Cambodia).
Cambodia is a really beautiful country, but it is sadly full of rubbish. People throw it anywhere, mainly plastics, to burn it afterwards. This is surely caused because of a lack of infraestructure due to the underdevelopment state of the country, where just in big cities are some bins to throw rubbish and only in a few places small companies collect trash.
But it is also the lack of education, information and interest which keeps this problem going on. Sart Cambodia was born to face the huge problem of the rubbish and try to make many children and adults conscious about it through educational activities .
The origin of the project
We started to clean Phoum Thmey village to fix the places where is our cultural center now. After that we began to organise special days dividing all the children into teams to clean the village as a competition game.
Many volunteers who came to our center tried always to contribute to recycle in many ways, creating different objects for the center. But it wasn't easy to find the way to get important results.
From October 2018 what at the beggining was only the desire to see everything around the center clean and free of rubbish, became a project on its own, which seems already like revolution in our village capable to fight and distroy over time this awful problem.
What we do
In the Viva la Vida Cultural Center we follow the successive steps:
- The cleaning of the village: many Sundays we do the trash competition game, where all the children divided into teams collect rubbish all over the village.
- The collection of the rubbish: we setted up different collection points in our center where we sepparate the rubbish. Besides we started to set up other points in Phoum Thmey village outside the center too.
- The plastic treatment: we separate what we can use for our recycling afterwards and wash it carefully.
- Recycling in our Faro Lab: once our plastics are ready to use we bring them into our laboratory, where the rest of the work takes place.
We work hard on this project everyday, we talk about it in our cultural center and our social media and when we wanted to share it even more we decided to travel around Cambodia by tuk tuk to make many other children conscious about this huge problem.
We brought with us the 5 teenagers of our center who were more involved in the project and participated everyday in our workshops. Our goal: share all what they have learnt during these months with the children we would find on the way.
During our trip we have done many educational activities, such as the cleaning of villages and multimedia lessons, where our teenagers where the protagonists and explained the other children the problems of the rubbish in the world and in Cambodia, to make them understand which are the consequences, how they can avoid and fight it, showing them how we face it in the Viva la Vida Cultural Center.
We want to make conscious all the people who didn't have the chance yet to realize about this problem, explaining them how to reduce and recycle all the trash we are generating and that it's distroying our world.
To sensitize always more children is very important for us and we will keep on improving this project, studying innovative solutions to reduce this problem in different parts of the world.
The obtained results in just few time are already noticeable: our center and our village are much cleaner and free of rubbish.
With the plastic bottles we are creating the border of the Viva la Vida Cultural Center, with the tops of the bottles different decorative drawings have been made, with the plastic straws we are elaborating original wallets and all the plastic envelopes are used to fill colourful pillows and cushions for our library after its washing and treatment in our laboratory. The rest of the trash that we cannot recycle we give to a small company who comes to collect it from time to time.
These are the results of so much thinking and working in our amazing laboratory.
How to contribute to the project
You can help in many different ways:
- Buying the book Controvento or donating in our webpage.
- Organizing events in your city, such as dinners, aperitifs, concerts, sale of items, lotteries or anything to raise funds. Contact us if you are interested!
- Coming directly to Cambodia to volunteer! In this way you will see with your own eyes what we do and you can contribute in a practical way to our projects.
- Spread the word!Share the project with your facebook friends or participate in crowdfunding events that we periodically open in response to the needs of children
- You can adopt the center by paying a donation every month that will allow us to manage the projects in progress and to continue the projec(read more)